Sunday, March 7, 2010

A tart, a pie and stuff that starts with "t"

I tell my husband that 'I am a lover not a cooker' in the hope that his mind may start to wander and he wont notice that I am serving up chicken snitz and vegies for the third time that week. The truth is that I don't enjoy cooking. It just seems like a whole lot of time and effort put into something that will be gone in a few minutes.

Having said that, if push comes to shove, I can sort of cook. We had some friends over for dinner so I made this delicious lemon tart for dessert. Thankyou Cathie for your help.. you know your lemon tarts are my weakness!



Because I only had a smaller than suggested pan, I had some pastry left over. A quick call to Mum and I made a sweet Cherry Pie (at the risk of ruining my reputation, yes I did sing and hum and dance to this while I was baking.... and it felt good!).


This is an easy one that looks and tastes way better than it should for the amount of effort required. Blind bake your pastry. Drain a jar of pitted cherries. Add a couple of tablespoons of arrowroot or cornflour to the syrup and stir until it thickens. Spread the cherries over the pastry. Cover with the syrup. Allow to cool then put it in the fridge. It tastes extra good with icecream.


Then after dinner and too much dessert, I set my friends up with the "stuff that starts with T" tea towel. I am pleased to report that they passed with flying colours and all 48 "t" pictures were identified.



How about you? Can you name all 48? If you think you can, visit Tania and let her know. She's having a giveaway of this fab tea towel/dinner party game that she designed.

19 comments:

Vic said...

I do believe 'tease' also starts with 'T'... and that is what you are doing with the pics of your yummy desserts... *drools*

I need me some lemon tart. I don't want to make it mind you, just eat it. Have any left perchance?!

Leah said...

Looks like a great time and a great feed! Will have to try the tart. I made Chocolate Devils fod cake last night...was yummy too.

MooBear Designs said...

Nikki, cooking dinner and cooking a dessert and 2 totally different things. Neither of which I can do justice but I sure do enjoy them both. You did a great job on the other hand. So proud of you. Bear just loves anything 'cock rock' lmao and Warrant is another one of his favourite bands.

Ps what's wrong with snitz 3 days out of 7...hehe

xo Steph

Cathie said...

Nikki I love to bake..but cooking is a totally different thing.
your tarts look fab, I bet you didn't have much leftover.
have a wonderful week

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I agree about the cooking. So much effort and then- its gone so quick...

Chef and I just spent the last while getting all 48. we want to won that teatowel!!!

CurlyPops said...

Yummo! I love Cathies lemon tart (my too tight jeans can attest to that fact).
I'm still stumped on the tea towel quiz - I only counted 47 pics but I sent it in anyway.

Jennie said...

I am with you in the "can't be arsed cooking" category! Haven't cooked a meal since I was pregnant with Little Jack and my nausea got in the way.

Gina said...

You're just getting funnier Nikster. I think singing 'cherry pie' will just cement your reputation rather than ruin it. Bet the B-man loved your rendition.

I think I've definitely moved into the 'cooking sucks the life out of me' club in the last 5 years. My whole meal-planning kick is so that I can spend as little time thinking about it as possible, and spend more time crafting it up.

Having said that, it's serendipitous that I'm checking your blog whilst being a bit of a she-devil baker myself. Choc brownies on their way...

handmaiden said...

nikki, looks like u did a pretty good job and lemon tart is a fav of mine

Treacle Beak said...

Yum ... lemon and cherry tarts and ice cream ... both look delicious, your lucky friends for attending dinner at your place, Nik.

Unknown said...

That lemon tart looks really good, you've got me drooling here. Lucky you have linked the recipe, I might have to try that!

Maria Rose said...

Looks to me like you can really cook! Yum.

june at noon said...

I'm with you. I can cook, sort of, but I really don't like to. Too bad I also like to eat. ;)

CC said...

I'm with you on the day to day cooking. Luckily, B loves to cook and seems not to mind doing it most of the time. Baking/"non essential" cooking I don't mind though. I like the look of the cherry pie. I'll have to give it a go some time.

Sarah said...

owwwww both those tarts look good - ummmm owwww

One pair of Hands said...

Looks pretty darned good. Cooking's not my favourite thing either.

Jolie said...

T for terrific! Love the teatowels...and the tarts and pies, even though now I'm wondering what I can nibble on that will satisfy a craving for pie!!

Becky said...

I do the baking and the Mr does most of the cooking. I will have to try that cherry pie one day :)

Unknown said...

You sound like me , I can cook but do I really have to ! I am going to try the cherry pie though , thanks !